Hair Testing for Minerals and Metals
What is hair mineral analysis?
Tissue Mineral Analysis (TMA) is an analytical test that measures the mineral content of hair. The sampled hair, obtained by cutting the first inch of growth closest to the scalp at the nape of the neck, is prepared in a licensed clinical laboratory through a series of chemical and high temperature diagnostic procedures. Testing is then performed using highly sophisticated detection equipment and methods to achieve the most accurate and precise results.
What can cause a mineral imbalance?
Trace minerals are essential in countless metabolic functions. Dr. Henry Schroeder, researcher and author said, are ?more important factors in human nutrition than vitamins. The body can manufacture many vitamins, but it cannot produce necessary trace minerals or get rid of many possible excesses.? Diet, stress, medications, pollution, nutritional supplements and inherited patterns can all contribute to a mineral imbalance.
Feeling bad and don?t know why?
- Do you regularly use antiperspirants or antacids?
- Do you have metal tooth fillings or regularly consume seafood?
- Do you regularly drink tap water or live in an industrial setting?
- Do you have rough dry skin and hair breakage?
- Do you suffer from allergies, periodontal symptoms, hypertension?
- Do you suffer from mood swings, lack of concentration, menstrual problems?
- Do you experience decreased sense of taste, smell, poor vision or poor wound healing?
- Do you take supplements in excess or not enough?
- Do you get infections easily and have a chronic low grade fever?
- Do you suffer with joint pain or depressive episodes?
Did you know?
Element/mineral imbalances are linked to many illnesses and chronic diseases, such as:
- Attention Deficit Disorder
- Aggressive Behavior
- Joint Pain
- Digestive Disorders
- Learning Disorders
How does TMA help in designing a nutritional program?
In order to design an effective nutritional program, it is essential that your doctor or practitioner be able to distinguish the basic underlying cause for symptoms that you may be experiencing. It is for this reason that upon evaluation, your doctor/practitioner may request a TMA to be used in conjunction with other diagnostic tests. A TMA can assist in providing your doctor/practitioner with a more comprehensive picture on which to base the most appropriate therapy, or supplement program. Deficiencies or imbalances among minerals/elements need to be corrected or they can lead to many problems. For example:
- Low magnesium is associated with cardiac risk
- Low copper is associated with joint pain, cholesterol problems, anemia and infections
- Low zinc is associated with weight problems, hair loss, impotence and poor wound healing
- Excess lead is associated with fatigue and constipation, insomnia, learning disabilities
- Excess aluminum is associated with alzheimer?s disease and depletion of phosphorus
- Excess mercury is associated with fatigue, mental depression, irritability.
Why use the hair?
A TMA reveals a unique metabolic world: intracellular activity, which cannot be seen through most other tests. This provides a blueprint of the biochemistry occurring during the period of the hair sample?s growth and development. Clinical results have shown that a properly obtained hair sample can give an indication of mineral status and toxic and metal accumulation following long term or acute exposure. Hair is used as one of the tissues of choice by the Environmental Protection Agency in determining toxic exposure. A 1980 report concluded that human hair may be a more appropriate tissue than blood or urine for studying community exposure to some trace elements.
TMA Computer Designed Reports
Each test report will provide you with the most complete and comprehensive computer evaluation of significant mineral levels and ratios as tested in the hair. Included is a listing of foods to eat or to avoid in accordance with food allergy indicators and individualized requirements. In addition, each analysis contains a highly specific listing of nutrients that may assist in balancing body chemistry.
*There is an extra fee for this service. It is not part of your daily program or treatments.[/tab] [tab]Coming soon…[/tab] [/tabs]